Friday 23 January 2009

Painful Nails

I am being pathetic about a bashed thumb nail. I caught it on a padlock today and it hurts! I can see the blood blister forming under the nail. It occured to me how super sore bashed up nails can be. When you get a blood blister under a nail it increases the pressure and is called a subungal haematoma. Common in marathon runners who need the nail pierced at the end of the race to alleviate the pressure. If you get it fast enough the blood can really spurt out! Otherwise the blood dries and the nail blackens and often falls off.

My poor thumb is nothing compared to that but it is always good to be reminded just how sore nails can be. If necessary we can numb the toe to sort out the nail properly.
So do as I did not; avoid hitting the nail if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment